Wednesday 21 March 2007

The start of training - February 2005

Assured from the start that I was going to get much more flying done by learning in India, as well as keeping the costs down I was keen to get going. The first day was to be taken up with groundhandling on the beach. Having some experience of trying other things that take a while to get the knack of, I knew that when it felt hopeless I just had to keep at it, knowing that it would all pay of later.

A few hours of being dragged around by a glider on the beach in the hot sun wearing a motorcycle helmet wasn't much fun. At times it felt like I'd never get the hang of it. The glider generally just thrashed around before pulling me across the sand after it. If I ever got it above my head it didn't stay there long. It was knackering, and I imagine pretty boring for Steve who must have seen the same thing so many times before.

I felt like my experience of flying powerkites helped a bit - but obviously not enough! Eventually (well into the afternoon) Steve called it a day and I retired - completely knackered - to the shade of a local cafe for a well earned rest. I have to say that Steve was remarkably patient with me throughout all the training I did with him. I felt pretty lucky to have found someone good to train with.

No comments: