Saturday 31 March 2007

Dunstable - 12th March 2007

Another promising weather window beckoned me to Dunstable (another 1/2 day off work) for the afternoon. When I arrived it felt OK but was considerably more gusty and strong than my last trip here. Keith, Hugh and others were already flying but I felt a bit hesitant as I could see their gliders pitching around - and compared to me they were skygods.

Eventually the wind seemed to drop a little and I felt like giving it a go. I got away first time but couldn't seem to get seated right, had my speedbar caught up and before I knew it was out of the lift band and facing a walk back up the hill. Keith landed after me at the bottom - in spectacular fashion!

Returning immediately to the top of the hill I once again prepared for launch. Again the wind seemed gusty and strong and I was nervous about getting dragged. Failing to commit to the launch saw me thrashing my glider around for about 30 minutes before deciding to wait for a lull to launch in. 10 minutes later I hit the perfect window and once again was flying.

Conditions were stronger than I had experienced at Dunstable previously and having had a small tuck on one side and some pitching around I felt a bit nervous. I tried to stay out from the hill, using the speedbar and decided that perhaps I ought to land. As I left the hill to head for the bottom landing I contacted with some lift and soon was high above the hill - much higher than I had been at Dunstable and not sure I wanted to be there. I decided I may as well make the most of it and soared the ridge trying to enjoy myself. Eventually I needed to land as I had an appointment I had to be back in Milton Keynes for at 4.30. Trying to fly out from the hill didn't seem to be working - I was gaining height, so returning to the ridge I crept backwards half considering a top landing. Eventually I managed to get within a few feet of the ridge, but just couldn't seem to touchdown - every time being forced to fly out again. However, one failed landing saw me drift over to the next spur and I managed (by a combination of luck and judgement) to put the glider down nicely.

I managed to fly for about 35 mins this time and was very pleased I had managed to top land in slightly tricky conditions. I was pleased I had saved myself the trudge back up the hill too!

No comments: