Tuesday 20 March 2007

Plans made

Planning a 6 month trip to India back in 2005 I contemplated what I might do on my return (hoping that I would have enough money to avoid working for a few months during the summer of 2006). I started looking into the costs (including equipment - it was around the 3 grand mark!) and logistics of learning to paraglide and mentally made plans to learn on my return.

During my time in India I was in Goa and happened upon people paragliding. It only took me a few days to ascertain that tandem rides and tuition was avilable, and that this was a much cheaper and better place to learn than the UK. A tandem ride with Steve Reed (who was later to become my instructor) followed partly for fun, but partly to be sure I wanted to learn. From what I had read it was clear it wasn't the safest sport around, but I felt confident in Steves instruction, but also the thought of flying was hard to resist - it all looked so easy!