Saturday 31 March 2007

Dunstable - 8th March 2007

Now extremely keen to take any small opportunity to fly I set of early to Dunstable for a brief flight before work. When I arrived it was a little foggy on the highest part of the ridge but a gentle breeze was blowing onto takeoff. Completely alone (apart from the odd dog walker) I felt confident enough but was used to having a few other pilots around.

I brought the wing up and stood facing into wind keeping the wing nicely stable. I went for it and pushed forward and over the fence. I was flying but not getting any lift. I soared across the bushes and trees that cover parts of the ridge and realised I was going to have to head for the landing field if I didn't want to risk a tree landing.

I landed comfortably just short of the main landing field in the recently cleared area. Disappointed there wasn't enough wind but happy to have flown if only for a few minutes. At least I now had a better idea of how much wind was needed. I packed up the glider, walked back to the car and headed off to work.

No comments: