Friday 30 March 2007

Last days of flying in Bir

I finished off my flying in Bir with a few calm flights - often towards the end of the day when I could just chill out and take a few photos. Even heading straight out from the hill meant you had ample height and time to cruise above the villages - I explored the paths I had taken around the villages from the air, re-tracing the routes I had taken on the ground before heading over to the main part of Bir where the gompas, hotels and shops are. I had a clear view down the Kangra Valley past Joginder Naggar and on to Mandi.

As I flew I was wondering what it must be like to go XC? Certainly the view of the snow-capped peaks and passes to the north of the main ridge behind take-off made it clear you had to know what you were doing and be wrapped up very warm. A number of pilots have flown from Bir to Dharamsala and back in a day, and occasionally people make it to Manali, landing at Solang Nullah. This journey takes about 10 hrs by bus! I was all too aware that I was no way experienced enough to be thinking of either of these trips for some time to come. I look forward to returning to Bir one day and catching some thermals.

No comments: