Wednesday 21 March 2007

First solo flights

Having felt like I'd made some progress by piloting the tandem the day before, I felt my dream of flying might actually come true - I just didn't expect it quite so quickly. Having determined that the wind was just right Steve led me to the launch above the small beach. Having briefed me he assisted me on launch to get the glider up, then assisted the actual launch (by pushing me off the cliff). Before I knew it I was flying down towards the beach. Feeling pretty gripped I listened to Steve's instructions on the radio and focused on the approaching beach. Thinking didn't really seem possible, enjoying the view wasn't really an option either - I was just so focused on the approaching beach.

When climbing I'd experienced times of intense focus - such as when making sketchy moves on a hard route with a big fall potential - but there was always a big dose of fear mixed in with that. Flying down I didn't feel fear - just that an overwhelming intensity of focus (the fear in flying has been experienced since this time - but thats another story!).

Having never landed a paraglider myself before I wasn't too certain of what was going to happen when I reached the beach. Given its size I couldn't really miss and as it turned out landing into the gentle sea breeze with a good flare on touchdown made it seem so simple. Like stepping onto the street from your front doorstep. No time to relax though, Steve was on the radio urging me back up the cliff for another flight.

In all I managed four flights that day. Two top to bottoms, and two soaring flights. I was well pleased - the longest flight was 40 minutes. At that time I didn't realise how fortunate I was to have such good conditions to learn in (not to mention having one-to-one tuition!). Since then I have met many pilots who have learned in the UK who have rarely flown for that length of time - and certainly not while training! Some had passed their CP with less than two hrs airtime! Other experienced piots there commented that I was lucky to have Steve as an instructor - they felt he was very experienced and very safe.

No comments: