Friday 30 March 2007

First flight as a club pilot - November 2006


Having got my CP I joined my local club the DHPC and spent much time on the Internet eargerly awaiting the right conditions to occur on a weekend. Eventually As a suitable window appeared and as I drove up the hill I could see paragliders in the air - I was so excited. My initial enthusiasm quickly evaporated as I realised how windy it was - there was no way I would take-off while it was blowing like that. I met some of the other club members who were a pretty friendly bunch and generally spent the day parawaiting but completed my airspace briefing from Kenny. Eventually the wind dropped off and I got ready to launch.

I got my wing up and made a clean launch first time. I made a number of soaring beats up and down the length of the hill before I started sinking out with everyone else. I had got into the air just as the lift died. Landing was easy - one side of a massive field, just keep going until you touch down.

Despite all the waiting around I was pleased I'd managed to fly unassisted and finally made it into the air once again. Unfortunately soon after this the winter set in for real and every weekend it seemed flyable I was away. Such is paragliding...

No comments: