Wednesday 21 March 2007

Final days of flying in Goa

I had already delayed my train to Bombay to fit in a bit more flying and managed to get some long flights in over the next 5 days with Steve. I had already completed the course and was now paying for extra days flying. Effectively being allowed to fly on my own but in radio contact with Steve who would keep setting me different tasks to do - practicing all the skills he taught in the course.

On one day I managed 5 top landings - which were far from easy. The top landing and launch areas were pretty rocky and surrounded by spiky bushes which didn't leave much room for error. Over those 5 days I managed to get 10 hours of flying in with a 3 hour flight on the final day starting from the most westerly takeoff - gradually making my way along the cliff as the wind changed and eventually making the transition to the hill above the lake beach. It looked a long way to reach on the glide but I just managed to tuck in and get into the lift. Eventually Steve (from Kent) followed me over to this hill and we flew around for a while longer inthe sun, venturing out over the beach below in plenty of lift - not much chance of sinking out today. Eventually I made a break for the main beach around the headland. I went on the longest glide possible - aiming to cover as much distance as I could before landing. Turning into wind I landed perfectly - way past the main group of cafes and restaurants. I was totally dehydrated, a little sunburnt and desparate for a pee - but it was amazing. Another pilot landing a few minutes after me had a lucky escape. He made his final turn in the wrong direction (not into wind!) - narrowly missing the roof of a beach cafe!

The plan now was to meet up with Steve in a few months time at the famous flying site called Bir in Himachal Pradesh for some mountain flying - I couldn't wait. I have to say I was happy to be leaving Goa - I wanted to get back to where India felt like India again - and some decent food.

No comments: